RRHS was formed in 1936 to collect, preserve, display
and disseminate historical material relevant to the continuing history of North Eastern NSW.
River Historical Society consists entirely of volunteers
who maintain, develop, interpret and promote the collections
of the Museum and the Research Centre.
Society welcomes volunteers. If you would like to apply
to become a volunteer, please print out and complete a Membership
Form and a Volunteer
Form, and send to the address indicated on the
page for details of how to join the Society, benefits of
membership, and fees.
River Historical Society Inc. (RRHS), founded on 1 April
1936, was one of the first three historical societies formed
in New South Wales outside the Sydney region. After going
into recess during World War II, it was reconstituted in
served by the Society is the Richmond region, extending
from the head of the river at Woodenbong and extending to
the mouth at Ballina. It covers the Big Scrub east of Lismore,
National Parks, grazing and farming country, as well as
cities, towns and villages with a population of 140 000.
and Research Centre is housed in the old Lismore Municipal
Building in premises provided by Lismore City Council. See
holdings show the evolution of the Richmond River area and
its peoples from the arrival of the Bundjalung people some
6,000 years ago, through the explorations of Captain Henry
Rous in 1828, to subsequent white settlement and changing
patterns of society and industry leading to our present
on individuals, events and places connected with various
groups of people can be viewed and studied at the Museum
and the Research Centre. The comprehensive collection of
material of cultural significance reveals the origins and
emerging identity of the residents of the valley.
Museum opening hours, see our Museum
page, and for Research Centre opening hours, see our Research